Located at the Sturgeon Bay Ship Canal property, the famously red Pierhead light is one of two lighthouses. The other is the Sturgeon Bay Canal Lighthouse.Got it!
The Pierhead navigation light was built in 1882, and the station and its tower light were built in 1899. The building was automated in 1972.Got it!
A popular spot for photographers and history buffs, the Pierhead is accessible by parking at the canal and walking along the lower-level breakwater.Got it!
The Pierhead is on the east side of the peninsula and therefore makes for excellent sunrise scenery.Got it!
The lighthouse sits on the east side of the 1.3-mile Sturgeon Bay Ship Canal. It was originally built so ships could avoid sailing around the north end of the peninsula and having to cross the famously fatal Port de Morts (AKA "Death's Door").Got it!
Waves crashing against the breakwater as distant ships glide across the horizon
Living and working on Lake Michigan has long been a part of the Door County identity, and relics of the region's maritime roots can still be seen today at these nautically inspired attractions.