The Stavkirke is located on Washington Island in a beautiful forest setting with abundant trees and wildflowers and a short walking trail.Got it!
The structure is based on drawings of one built in Borgund, Norway in 1150 AD.Got it!
The Stavkirke was built throughout the late 1980s and finished in 1995 by a local pastor who wanted to honor Washington Island's Scandinavian heritage.Got it!
The medieval look of the church is thanks to its mostly wood and stone construction and intricate carvings and accents. The interior has a strong and pleasing aroma of fresh wood.Got it!
'Stavkirke' translates to "Church of Staves" in Norwegian.Got it!
Birds in the Trees
The woods that surround the Stavkirke are filled with the trees, plants, birds, and wildlife of Washington Island.
Belgian chapels are a fairly common sight on the side of the road in Door County. Now protected monuments to past religious traditions, many can be visited and experienced in person.