Into the Woods: Log Cabins in Door County
A log cabin isn’t just a place to hang your hat while on vacation; it’s a way of life. With that comes opportunities to embrace simplicity, find spiritual rejuvenation, and have some rustic, old-fashioned outdoor fun. Door County has dozens of cabins for rent in a variety of sizes, locations, environments, and price points. No matter your getaway style, there are log cabins for rent to match it.
Winter Cabin Trip Must-Dos
- Cook a Rustic Meal: If your cabin is equipped with cooking gear, or if you’re a particularly ambitious campfire chef, try making a few Door County favorites, such as Cherry Wine-Braised Ribs, a homemade Fish Boil, or Cherry Brownies.
- Winter Sports: A weekend cabin getaway is the perfect time to try snowshoeing, cross country skiing, or wintertime hiking or biking.
- Hide Inside: If avoiding the snow, cold, and sleet is more your style, don't be afraid to stay inside and enjoy the wintertime views from the warmth of the cabin or indoor attraction. Here are some ways to spend a day indoors.
Must-Dos on a Summer Cabin Getaway
- Build a Fire: Learning to build a safe and sustainable fire is a valuable and rewarding life skill. From cooking dinner and s’mores over an open fire to bonding over stories, songs, and small talk, campfires are the perfect way to relax.
- Take a Hike: Embrace your time in the woods by hitting the trails. Door County has five state parks and 19 county parks stocked with trails for hikers of all experience levels.
- Cast a Line: Keep it simple and head to a lake, pond, or harbor to try to catch bass, walleye, perch, and trout, to name a few. Hop a charter boat or find a local shop that rents equipment if you don’t have your own.
- Dive Right In: Water sports are a part of life here, and many Door County and Wisconsin cabins can be found right on the water. Try canoeing, kayaking, stand-up paddle boarding, parasailing, tubing, sailing, and more.