Fishing in Wisconsin:
Cast Your Line in Door County
Enjoy Some of Wisconsin’s Best Fishing Spots
Flanked on either side by Green Bay and Lake Michigan, the waters off the Door County peninsula and Washington Island offer some the best fishing in the country. Sturgeon Bay, recently named by Bassmasters as one of the world’s best spots for bass fishing, is the hub of the angler community, but towns throughout the county have developed their fishing industries to make sure you land your best lunker.
Visit the Door County Summer Seasonal for summer getaway inspiration.
5 Good-to-Knows About Fishing in Door County
- Fishing in Door County: While Sturgeon Bay may have been named the number one spot for bass fishing in the country, the rest of the county waters—from the Green Bay on the west to Lake Michigan on the east—feature trout, salmon, whitefish, walleye, northern pike, and perch.
- Fishing in Green Bay: The calmer waters of Green Bay will ensure a good harvest of brown trout and walleye in the spring and even more walleye in the fall. The Sturgeon Bay Canal and surrounding waters into Green Bay are where smallmouth bass are rampant. Those are the waters that served the Bassmasters Angler of the Year Championship in 2015.
- Fishing in Lake Michigan: Launching into the lake water on the east side of the peninsula, you can expect to find record trout and salmon. Gills Rock has frequently been the site of chinook salmon stocking by the Department of Natural Resources, and although salmon season doesn’t end, the open season for lake trout is March 1–October 31.
- Ice Fishing in Door County: In just the past few years, ice fishing in Door County has added to the winter appeal of the county. Whether you need a charter service to set you up out on the ice or want to launch your own boat onto the frozen water, Door County can be your year-round fishing destination.
- Fishing in Inland Waters: At many of the county’s inland lakes—including Clark Lake, Europe Lake and Kangaroo Lake—you will find panfish such as bluegill and perch. The calmer inland waters are some of the best fishing lakes in Wisconsin and allow anglers to fish from vessels as simple as kayaks.