A rare example where graffiti is an accepted
part of an attraction is at Anderson Dock. A
posted sign notes that boaters have "signed"
the dockside warehouse walls for years with
the'r boats' names and the year that they
docked. "We encourage boaters and visitors to
continue the tradition by being creative but
tasteful." No carving or spray paint, please.
There is an Anderson Historic District within
the village that includes Anderson Dock, the
Anderson Gas Station Gallery, the Anderson Ice
House, and the Anderson Family Homestead. It's
safe to say that the village of Ephraim might
be a much different place without the
enterprising spirit of the Anderson family. For
many Ephraim residents and visitors alike, the
Anderson Dock and all that goes with it – the
store, the warehouse (now the Francis Hardy
Gallery) – are Ephraim.
The Anderson Dock story begins in 1858, when Ephraim’s early settlers sold brothers Aslag and Halvor Anderson 166 acres with the understanding that the two would construct a deepwater dock for community use. The Anderson Dock proved to be an excellent idea, for now any vessel sailing the waters of Green Bay could dock at Ephraim. Thirty years later, the Anderson Dock would serve as a standard port-of-call for passing steamships. The Goodrich, Hill, and Hart Line steamers stopped on their appointed rounds, bearing the summer vacationers that would begin to fuel Ephraim’s economy around the turn of the century.
The Door County Newsletter
Sign up to get the latest trip ideas, tips, and inspiration sent to your inbox each month.