Articles x Stories
Please log In to view your favorite articles.
Door County is a fantastic place to get out and explore (check out our five favorite places to hike) but it helps to be prepared and safe. Here are a few tips for a great adventure.
1. Do your research before you go. With so much land accessible to the public, take some time to research potential hiking spots. Each area offers unique trails, terrain and wildlife. Know what to expect when you get there so you are not surprised by rugged trails, wet conditions, or other unexpected things that can ruin an otherwise great hiking opportunity.
2. Proper footwear is a must. Flip flops might work in downtown Fish Creek but they will not serve you well at a place like Door Bluff Headlands County Park. On the other hand, they might work just fine for a hike down the beach in Newport State Park. It all begins with tip #1…do some research before you go.
3. You don’t have to do it alone. Take a hike with a guide or nature specialist. For those interested in learning a little more about the area, its plants, animals and history, watch for naturalist guided hikes at places like The Ridges Sanctuary in Baileys Harbor, through Door County Land Trust or one of the many state parks on the peninsula.
4. Bring a camera! With so many places to explore it seems like there is a photo opportunity around every bend in the trial. Take advantage of the rugged beauty of the area and you could capture some life-long memories and potentially prize winning photographs. When you post them to social media, make sure to use #DoorCounty and you might be featured by the Door County Visitor Bureau!
5. Watch the ledges. The Green Bay side of the peninsula has some of the greatest views in the Midwest but view them carefully. Many trails travel along steep limestone cliffs with no guardrails. Use caution while hiking these areas, take your time, and be sure of your footing.
Oh, and one more tip - soak it in! You're in Door County after all.
Sign up for Door County's monthly newsletter and receive vacation itineraries, travel tips and ideas, event announcements and exclusive giveaways in your inbox.
Thinking of visiting ? Use the Trip Planner to track all the businesses, activities, and events that interest you.Plan My Trip