Articles x Stories
Please log In to view your favorite articles.
1. Make reservations early! Door County is one of the most popular places to go camping in Wisconsin and one of the biggest vacation destinations in the Midwest. Campsites in Door County fill up fast, sometimes more than a year in advance!
2. Only bring the essentials in your cooler and pack light on the food. With the exception of wilderness camping in Newport State Park or Rock Island State Park, most campgrounds have well-stocked stores and all of the communities have grocery stores. Besides, with all of the amazing restaurants in Door County you definitely need to eat out a few times.
3. Please leave the firewood at home. Firewood can harbor many destructive pests, including the Emerald Ash Borer. It is best to purchase firewood where you stay and keep it in that area. That way, any insects or pathogens that destroy our forests will not spread to other parts of the state. Many campgrounds in Wisconsin and most campsites in Door County, both public and private, do not allow firewood to be brought in. It must be purchased and burned on site.
4. Plan on making day trips to a few destinations during your stay. One of the best parts of camping in Door County is location. Whether you enjoy the scenic beauty of the rugged shorelines or tasting wine made from Door County cherries, most campgrounds are within minutes of all the great attractions the area has to offer.
5. Research your interests and what the immediate area has to offer before booking. There are campgrounds spread throughout the county and finding a site that fits your needs is not a problem if you plan ahead. Make phone calls and ask questions before locking in a site. This saves on travel time and fuel costs.
Sign up for Door County's monthly newsletter and receive vacation itineraries, travel tips and ideas, event announcements and exclusive giveaways in your inbox.
Thinking of visiting ? Use the Trip Planner to track all the businesses, activities, and events that interest you.Plan My Trip