Top 5 Insider Tips on Door County Farm Markets
- Come hungry! I know they say never shop on an empty stomach. In this case, it’s just simply not true. There are always food vendors with ready to eat healthy snacks such as peaches, green beans, or berries in season. If you are looking for something a little less healthy to kick off your Sunday, we have a great vendor that sells smoothies, egg rolls & crab rangoons. Definitely worth a try. You can eat healthy later!
- Know what you’re buying. That tall stalk with arms sticking out all over the place? Yes those are Brussel sprouts and they are delicious.
- Ask questions! The vendors love to talk to you. Ask where they are located, how long they’ve done it, etc. You may learn that they do other markets on other days providing you with that buy local option all summer. They really take pride in their work and it shows.
- Fresh flowers are probably the best buy of the market. They can create a bouquet on the spot with your desired color scheme bigger than your head for around $10. They were most likely picked the day before giving you a few extra days of shelf life.
- Bring your own bags, in fact bring extras! If you have that bag of grocery bags in your car like I do, ask the vendors if they need any. They may appreciate not having to buy bags. If nothing else, bring a reusable bag every week to cut down on plastic waste.