Top 5 Insider Tips on exploring the history of Door County
- Don’t force it. It’s rare for children to have a natural passion for history; think of ways to incorporate their interests into historical topics.
- Make it fun. See a lighthouse at the midpoint of a bike ride, hike through Peninsula Park, or enjoy the humor of a trolley ride.
- Ask questions. Put the topic on the level of your child by asking questions suitable for their mind. If they’re answering questions, they’re thinking.
- Read Old Peninsula Days by Hjalmar R. Holand. It’s the perfect prepping for a trip to the county, as it gives one a sense of the culture and character of this place.
- Extend the lesson. Once your activity is complete, connect it something further in a new way. Write a story or draw pictures about it, for example.