20 Things to
Do During Winter
in Door County
As we near the end of the year, it’s only natural we start to look toward 2021 and think about ways in which we can make the coming year more meaningful and our day-to-day lives more satisfying.
We like to think trying new things and spending time outdoors as much as possible are always good goals, but the transitioning of the season and the end of a long and trying year make it an especially good time to put yourself out there and embrace a new hobby or gain a new perspective.
No matter where or when you're headed to Door County, here are 20 ways to build an amazing winter itinerary. Many of these ideas are great for exploring your own town or city's backyard (while socially distancing!), so you can use these as inspiration for a staycation as well.
1. Commit to spending a whole day—that’s 8 hours—outdoors, embracing the tundra and dressing for whatever weather comes your way. Check out these ways to spend a day outdoors in winter and places to get winter gear in Door County.
2. Rent snowshoes and try moving across the land or over a trail in a completely different way.
3. Or give cross country skiing a try for an afternoon of fun—and a great workout for the leg and core muscles.
5. Support a small business and grab a coffee, tea, beer, or wine from a local spot on the way home from the park.
7. Dine at or get takeout from a true Wisconsin supper club.
8. Go sledding at the hill at the Sister Bay Sports Complex, the hill at Hole 17 in Peninsula State Park Golf Course, Big Hill Park, or Incinerator Hill in Sturgeon Bay. Rent sleds from Nor Door Sports & Cyclery or find them at multiple sports and convenience stores in the area.
11. Find your new favorite adventure sport in fat tire biking, a superb way to get your adrenaline going in the winter.
13. Check out a few of our virtual experiences and take an interactive tour of a few local treasures from the warmth of your home.
14. Go on at least one wintery hike a month, whether cold, wind, or snow is in the forecast.
15. Hop a (heated) trolley and take a scenic tour of local sights, cocktail bars, or local wineries and breweries. Perfect for a winter date night!
16. Be an ice explorer and seek out frozen shoreline, massive icicles, and ice shoves. Cave Point, Ridges Point, Toft Point Nature Preserve, and Cana Island are all excellent stops for ice sightings.
18. Hunt down the best baked goods in Door County, from muffins and scones to pies and cinnamon rolls.
19. Hit the shops for some post-holiday sales and gifts from you to you, whether in-person or online.
20. Finally, and perhaps most importantly, remember to take the time to slow down and savor every moment when you’re up here. Door County is like nowhere else you’ll find, and in winter it becomes even more exhilaratingly beautiful.